We want to hear from people from all backgrounds and all walks of life with a real passion and determination to train as a BBC journalist. If you want to get first class training with the biggest broadcasting organisation in the world, then the BBC Digital Journalism Apprenticeship is for you.
You will work alongside BBC News teams on work placements and assist them with delivering quality News output and content, whether that is for online and digital, radio or television news. Meanwhile, you will be working towards a Level 3 Diploma in Journalism. Balancing your time between learning on the job and in a classroom environment will be essential.
• An apprenticeship to train to be a journalist with the BBC - with a diploma in journalism accredited by the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) at the end of it.
• You will learn how to create great content for BBC News across TV, radio, digital, online and social media.
• You will train and work alongside top Editors and journalists across different parts of BBC News and Current Affairs.
• You will get to tell news stories which appeal to a whole range of people who might not normally watch or listen to the news.
Are you the right candidate?
• You should be creative, curious and resilient.
• You must love all things digital and be able to show you are already using social media to tell stories.
• You must have a passion for writing.
• You must be interested in what is going on in the news
This is a scheme aimed at non-graduates. But you need to have at least 5 GCSEs with Maths and English at a C or above (or equivalent) or Grades 9 to 4. In Scotland you need to have five National 5’s, Grades A to C including Maths and English.
We also welcome those who are doing a completely different job – and want to make a career change to become a journalist.
If you are switched on, creative, and you can bring us your experiences of living in the UK today, then we want to hear from you.
If you are a graduate with ambitions to start a career in Journalism or an individual who can demonstrate their journalistic potential through existing work experience, then our Journalism Trainee Scheme may be a better fit for you. To find out more click here.
If you have a disability, you will be able to select for your application to go through the Extend Hub when you apply. All of our vacancies are also listed on VERCIDA. Click here to view our vacancies in an accessible format.
Starting salary: £14,250 per year, paid monthly.
The Digital Journalism Scheme offers places in Belfast, Birmingham, Cardiff, Glasgow, Oxford, Leeds, London, Nottingham, Norwich and Southampton.
You will be able to select your preference for location when you apply and will be considered for ALL locations. The link to apply will take you to the application for Belfast. If your first choice location is in England, Scotland or Wales please search careers hub and apply using the correct application form.
Duplicate applications will not be considered.
BBC staff get 25 days holiday a year and you can buy or sell days to suit you. As well as national bank holidays, you’ll also get an extra day-off between Christmas and New Year.
- Deadline for applications. 20th February 2019. All applications will be reviewed after this date. The application form consists of a few questions for you to tell us why you think you're right for this scheme, as well as some scenario based questions.
- Video Assessment. If you are successful through the first stage you will be invited to complete a video assessment. Full information will be sent to you by 26th March. You will have approximately one week to complete this.
- Assessment Centre - Birmingham. If you are successful after video assessment you will be invited to an assessment centre. These assessment centres take place week beginning 17th, 24th June, and 1st July. You will hear from us at least one week before the assessment day whether you have been successful. We do our best to keep you updated but please be aware you may not know if you have been selected for an assessment day until the end of June. We will reimburse some travel expenses.